Monday 14 July 2014

28 Days Later

        Saturday marked 28 days and so exactly four weeks since my double jaw surgery and otoplasty! Gone are those dribbley, miserable first days and now we're into the slower and far more bearable part of recovery. I'm feeling pretty good, although I get a little bored because it's the school holidays. I'm not complaining about not being at work! Not one bit :-) But it does mean now I'm not quite so immobilised by recovery, I need to be productive. Being a bit swollen, numb and an unwelcome dinner guest does not mean you can just waste several weeks of perfectly good time!
        Everyone who's commented in their blogs on how detrimental sitting there doing nothing can be to your mind-set during recovery - I wholeheartedly agree. I plan on exploring all the parts of London I've always meant to, sorting out my room, sorting out my wardrobe, indulging in a little jaw makeover pampering, figuring out my next dream travel trip and most importantly of all, doing some seriously committed, fairly fizzy writing. I keep promising myself I will, and with this amount of free time there is really no excuse!

In Jaw News: so what's it like 4 weeks in?

- I'm infinitely more comfortable in general
- Friends seeing me for the first time are shocked by my lack of bruising / swelling / that I don't look like I got hit by a bus. I think the most perceptive comment was "it just looks like you had your wisdom teeth taken out, rather than your face rearranged". That's pretty much my take on it too! I'm still swollen in my cheeks and the very middle part of my face, but the size of my face now looks kind of normal. Ish.
- Feeling is coming back. I can now feel my lower eyelids, although it is still a little numb near my nose, and the area that has got feeling is quite sensitive. I think it's still a bit swollen there because my eyes look very baggy and puffy in pictures, and they didn't so much before the surgery. Could also be that my sleep is still not amazing. My top lip, which is the area of numbness that bothered me most, is starting to make a comeback. Hallelujah! Much less so on the left side, which has always been more numb than the right. The far left of my upper lip is still pretty much completely numb. There is a numb patch on the right side of my chin (that doesn't really bother me), and the area between my lips and my nose is starting to gain sensitivity too. This area still feels very 'tight' - literally as if it lacks much movement. I keep screwing my face up because Graham (www.doublejawsurgery.com) said that can help break up the scar tissue. Also as per his suggestion, I've tried whistling, but it doesn't work at all! :-)
- Sleep is better although I still sleep with three pillows and I don't sleep on my side because of my ears.
- Ears - ears are less bruised and swollen. Some of the stitches have come out on their own, and some are still left.  They are still quite sensitive and I am still quite aware of not messing them up, so I take a lot of care when brushing my hair / washing my hair / wearing glasses / lying down.
- I can open my mouth much farther now, although not *all* the way. The elastics are fine, and I am cleaning my teeth as best I can. I wash out with water, then use a baby toothbrush, then an electric toothbrush as much as I can fit it in, then a mouthwash.
- My jaw does spasm sometimes, and this is painful/uncomfortable but short-lived.
- Eating: I still only eat mushy or blended food. I can eat beans unblended and bread is fine if it is soaked in soup. I find it much easier to chew on my right side - the left is still numb and I feel like I might have a bit of an open bite on my molars at the back on that side. I am seeing my wonderful orthodontist soon, so I'll ask about that.

A few more pictures below! I put some lippy on for fun, despite being relatively unable to feel it, although I'm still not wearing any makeup at all usually. It still feels weird to touch the numb and sensitive parts of my face and sweeping a brush over the skin gives me pins and needles type feelings! Still looking forward to a much needed haircut in a few weeks, too :-)

Day 28 mugshots


Swelling much reduced! Looking semi-normal although there's a little way to go to feeling (and certainly eating) normally yet

















Semi-side profile. My jawline has changed considerably. I have to remind myself how it was before!

















Open smile with a bare face and a dash of red lippy! Still a bit swollen but I'm already much happier with my smile.

















No more open bite! Or over bite! I still can't quite believe it :-) No regrets :-)















Below: Before and Day 28!







 

5 comments:

  1. :) Looks like you're recovering really well! You can't even notice you've had surgery recently because the swelling has gone considerably. From now on the progress will be slow, but you'll be feeling just like you did before surgery.
    Don't worry about your bite not touching yet, they'll pull that together with the elastics and braces.
    Your smile looks lovely.

    Abigail x
    http://maxillofacialmemories.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abi!! Yes, I was just reading on your blog about getting the bite sorted - very reassuring to know it's a common issue. The surgeon and orthodontist don't seem worried at all. Going well! Keep us updated on you too xxx

      Jen

      Delete
  2. Wow! I love your before and after photo! You look amazing now. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's getting there :-) Feeling much better at this point! I'm just about to upload my week 4/5 pics :-)

      Jen xxx

      Delete
  3. Gosh! What a difference! You're looking absolutely lovely! Good to see that you're recovering well. :)

    ReplyDelete